The following merit-based scholarships are offered by the colleges to students who intend to major in their college. To apply, complete the scholarship application via your MyMountainner portal, no additional application is required. After enrolling at Appalachian, there may be additional department-specific scholarships for continuing students, also based on major. Students should discuss scholarship opportunities for admitted students with their faculty advisors and departments after they enroll.
Beaver College of Health Sciences
- Dean's Scholarship - The Dean’s Scholarship for the Beaver College of Health Sciences is awarded based on academic merit and leadership; students will evidence strong academic success with SAT scores of 1300 and above and a predicted GPA of 3.8. This scholarship is renewable for a total of 4 years provided recipient maintains a GPA of 3.2 and is a declared major in the Beaver College of Health Sciences. The Beaver College of Health Sciences will award 5 scholarships in 2014-2015 which will cover the equivalent costs of in-state full tuition and fees (approximately $6,700 in 2013-2014). Recipients of the CHS Dean's Scholarship will also receive one stipend of $2000 toward a study abroad experience at some point during their enrollment at Appalachian.
Hayes School of Music
- Merit Scholarships - Scholarships in the Hayes School of Music are awarded on the basis of merit. At the time of their audition, prospective music students are extended scholarship consideration. Based upon their audition and submission of required audition materials, students are then selected to receive scholarship aid from various available scholarship awards. The award of these scholarships, including the two prestigious awards listed below, are determined by the School of Music faculty and do not require a specific application. Scholarship amounts range in value from $500 - $3750 per semester and many are renewable for up to eight semesters. Visit the Hayes School of Music for information about auditions and audition dates.
- Hayes Young Artist Scholarship - One entering first-year music major each year is awarded a $7,500 renewable scholarship and is selected on the basis of an exceptional first audition and for being selected as the Hayes Young Artist Scholar. The selection of the Hayes Young Artist Scholar is announced just after the completion of the Hayes Young Artist Scholarship Competition recital, held the first Saturday in March of each year. Learn more.
- AppalPIE Scholarship Program - This is a $10,000 scholarship divided over four years ($2,500 per year) and is supported through donor commitments for the four-year term. The program is unique as it features, and fosters, the establishment of a relationship between the donor and recipient during the scholarship period. As a result, there is a direct connection between the donor, the student, and the Hayes School of Music along with the creation of life-long friendships and relationships.
Reich College of Education
- Reich College of Education First-Year Student Scholarships - The Reich College of Education offers a variety of scholarships to incoming first-year teacher education majors. These scholarships range in value from $500 to $5,000 each year; many are renewable. Recipients of the Reich Scholarship are required to participate in the Appalachian Community of Education Scholars (ACES) Residential Learning Community.
- Steve and Judy James Scholarship - The Steve and Judy James Scholarship for Education is awarded to one incoming first-year student each year who plans to pursue a career in teaching in North Carolina. Recipients are chosen based on academic achievement, leadership, community service, and financial need. The Steve and Judy James Scholarship is $5,000 each year and is renewable for four years. Recipients of the James Scholarship are required to participate in the Appalachian Community of Education Scholars (ACES) Residential Learning Community and to teach in North Carolina for four years after graduation from Appalachian.
- Ed and Lois Reich Scholarship- The Ed and Lois Reich Scholarships are awarded to eight incoming first-years who plan to pursue a career in teaching. Recipients are chosen based on academic achievement, leadership, and community service. The Ed and Lois Reich Scholarship is $2,000 each year and is renewable for one year. Recipients of the Reich Scholarship are required to participate in the Appalachian Community of Education Scholars (ACES) Residential Learning Community.
Walker College of Business
- Baucus and Company Scholarship - The Walker College of Business selects one incoming student each year to receive the Baucus and Company Scholarship. This student must be an intended Accounting major. This scholarship is awarded in the amount of $2,000 and is renewable for one additional year (4 semesters).
- Bernhardt Furniture Company Scholarship - This scholarship is awarded to one incoming student each year with strong academic credentials as evidenced by a minimum 3.25 high school GPA and an interest in pursuing a major within the Walker College of Business. The scholarship ranges from $450-$650 each year (dependent upon endowment payout) and is renewable for 4 years (8 semesters). Preference for the scholarship is given to students who have a parent who is a current employee, or retired from, Bernhardt Furniture Company.
- Charles V. and Beth W. Murray Scholarship and the Natalie Carter Freeman Endowed Scholarship - The Charles V. and Beth W. Murray and Natalie Carter Freeman Scholarships are both awarded to one first-year student each year planning to pursue a major in the Walker College of Business. Each scholarship requires demonstration of financial need as well as a minimum 2.5 high school GPA. Both the Murray and Freeman Scholarship are $500 and renewable for four years (8 semesters).
- Gregory Searcy Buckner Endowed Scholarship - Dependent upon endowment payout, the Gregory Searcy Buckner Endowed Scholarship is awarded to one incoming student each year for $500 and is renewable for four years (8 semesters). Selected recipients must have a 2.5 minimum high school GPA and demonstrate financial need.
- F.P. “Bodie” Bodenheimer, Jr. Leadership Endowed Scholarship - Two incoming students each year are selected to receive this scholarship which is based on demonstrated leadership, a minimum 2.5 high school GPA, and high ethical standards. The scholarship is awarded for $1,250 and is renewable for four years (8 semesters).
- John A. Walker Endowed Scholarship - Dependent upon endowment payout, this scholarship is awarded to 1-2 incoming first-year students each year based on intent to major in the Walker College of Business, potential for superior achievement, and a minimum 3.25 GPA. Priority for the Walker Scholarship is given to students who also demonstrate financial need. This scholarship ranges from $1,500 - $3,000 each year and is renewable for 4 years (8 semesters).
- The Micheal K. and Janet G. Brown Scholarship - The Michael K. and Janet G. Brown Scholarship was established to support qualifying freshmen who plan to pursue a degree in the Walker College of Business. Students must pursue a degree in Business and reside in one of the following counties: Avery, Mitchell, Yancey, or McDowell. This scholarship is renewable for up to 2 years (First and Sophomore Year) for a total award of $5,000 and will be awarded to 2 students each year.