Appalachian Excellence Scholarship and ACCESS
All first-year students who submit their application for admission by November 1 and have completed the required and recommended steps for admission by November 15 at 11:59 p.m eastern time will be considered for the Appalachian Excellence Scholarship (AES) and the Appalachian Commitment to a College Education for Student Success (ACCESS) program.
Additionally, first-year students may apply for Signature Scholarships and Selective Academic Programs such as the Honors College, the Watauga Residential College, Appalachian Community of Education Scholars (ACES).
- Your application for admission must be completed by November 15.
- Submit your on-line application by November 1
- Submit all required materials by November 15
- Official High School Transcript
- Official Test Score(s): we accept both SAT and/or ACT
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- Other documents may be requested and must also be submitted by November 15
- Complete your Signature Scholarships and Selective Academic Programs application by November 15:
- Apply for Signature Scholarships and Selective Academic Programs! You'll need to create an account if you haven't submitted your application for admission and received your credentials for your MyMountaineer portal. If creating an account, please use the same email address that you plan to use for your admission application. Once logged in, you will select "Start New Application" and choose "Signature Scholarships and Selective Academic Programs Application (2020)."
- If you have submitted your application for admission, please review your email or your MyMountaineer Portal for instructions on starting your 2020 First-Year Signature Scholarships and Selective Academic Programs application.
- Required application information:
- Complete application for admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of activities (see guidance)
- Essays (The number of essays depends on which program you choose to apply for.)
- Keep an eye on your email and your MyMountaineer portal for more information.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- November 1 - Deadline to submit your admissions application
- November 15 - Deadline to submit all recommended and required steps for admission to be consideration for the Appalachian Excellence Scholarship and ACCESS
- November 15 - Deadline for students to complete the Signature Scholarships and Selective Academic Programs application
- December 1 - Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA to receive first consideration for need-based scholarships and grants (Including ACCESS)
- By January 1 - Appalachian Excellence Scholarship (AES) award notifications mailed with admissions decision letter
- By January 25 - Invitations for Scholars Day mailed (Students selected to interview for Signature Scholarships)
- February 22 - Scholars Day (Selective Scholarship Program interviews)
- March 15 - Signature Scholarship recipients announced
- April 15 - Deadline to accept scholarship or request an extension
Helpful Tips if Applying for competitive Signature Scholarships Programs
Here is some advice to help your scholarship application be as competitive as possible:
- Submit your application for admission well in advance of the November 15 deadline so you will have time to meet the required essays and recommendations.
- Identify your references and give them plenty of time to write a recommendation for you. Early communication with your references will yield better letters of recommendation. At least one of your letters should be from a teacher who can speak to your academic ability, intellectual curiosity and classroom engagement.
- Create an application timeline calendar and include the application dates. Monitor the Admissions homepage for news of any changes to the application or notification deadlines.
- Learn more about Signature Scholarships and Selective Academic Programs for which you may be a good fit.
- Allow yourself enough time to formulate quality essay responses.
- Visit our Parent and Family resource page for more tips on applying for scholarships.
- Monitor your scholarship application and via your MyMountaineer Portal to learn what's been received and ensure that your scholarship application is completed by November 15.