Appalachian Excellence Scholarship
All first-year students who apply for admission by November 1 will automatically be considered for the Appalachian Excellence Scholarship.
Additionally, incoming students may apply for Selective Programs such as the Honors College, the Watauga Residential College, Appalachian Community of Education Scholars (ACES), and Signature Scholarships (including ACCESS)
- Your application for admission must be submitted by November 1 and completed by November 15.
- Application for Admission
- Official High School Transcript
- Official Test Score(s): we accept both SAT and/or ACT
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- Other documents may be requested
- Complete your Selective Program and Signature Scholarships Application by November 15:
- Apply forSelective Programs and Signature Scholarships! You'll need to create an account if you haven't submitted your application for admission and received your credentials for your MyMountaineer portal. If creating an account, please use the same email address that you plan to use for your admission application. Once logged in, you will select "Start New Application" and choose "Selective Program and Signature Scholarship Application (2020)."
- If you have submitted your application for admission, please review your email or your MyMountaineer Portal for instructions on starting your 2020 First-Year Selective Programs and Signature Scholarships application.
- Required application information:
- Complete application for admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of activities (see guidance)
- Essays (The number of essays depends on which program you choose to apply for.)
- Keep an eye on your email and your MyMountaineer portal for more information.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- November 1 - Deadline to submit an application for admission for consideration for the Appalachian Excellence Scholarship
- November 15 - Deadline for students to complete the Selective Programs and Signature Scholarship Programs application
- November 15 - Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA and be considered for need-based scholarships
- January - Appalachian Excellence Scholarship Award Letters are Mailed
- Late January - Invitations for Scholars Day mailed (Students selected to interview for Signature Scholarships
- February - Scholars Day event (Selective Scholarship Program interviews)
- April 1 - Signature Scholarship recipients announced
- April 15 - Accept your Scholarship offer or ask for an extension
Helpful Tips if Applying for competive Signature Scholarship Programs
Here is some advice to help your scholarship application be as competitive as possible:
- Submit your application for admission well in advance of the November 1 deadline so you will have time to meet the November 15 deadline for the required essays and recommendations.
- Identify your recommenders and give them plenty of time to write a recommendation for you. Early communication with your recommenders will yield better letters. At least one of your letters should be from a teacher who can speak to your academic ability, intellectual curiosity and classroom engagement.
- Create an application timeline calendar and include the application dates. Monitor the Admissions homepage for news of any changes to the application or notification deadlines.
- Learn more about selective scholarship programs for which you may be a good fit.
- Allow yourself enough time to formulate quality essay responses.
- Monitor your scholarship application via your MyMountaineer Portal to learn what's been received and ensure that your scholarship application is completed by November 15.