Apply for Scholarships, the Honors College, and the Watauga Residential College
- Your application for admission must be submitted by November 1 and complete by November 15.
- Application for Admission
- Official High School Transcript
- Official Test Score(s): we accept both SAT and/or ACT
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- Other documents may be requested
- Complete your Application for Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities (this includes the Honors Application and Watauga Residential College Application) by November 15:
- Apply for scholarships! You'll need to create an account if you haven't submitted your application for admission and received your credentials for your MyMountaineer portal. If creating an account, please use the same email address that you plan to use for your admission application. Once logged in, you will select "Start New Application" and choose "First-Year Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities (2019)."
- If you have submitted your application for admission, please review your email or your MyMountaineer Portal for instructions on starting your 2019 First-Year Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities application.
- Required scholarship application information:
- Complete application for admission
- Two letters of recommendation
- List of activities (see guidance)
- Essays (The number of essays depends on which program you choose to apply for.)
- Keep an eye on your email and your MyMountaineer portal for more information.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- November 1 - Deadline to submit an application for admission
- November 15 - Deadline for students to complete the Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities and Admission application
- Late January - Invitations for Scholars Day mailed
- February 23 - Scholars Day event (including scholarship interviews)
- March 1 - Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA and be considered for need-based scholarships
- April 1 - Scholarship recipients announced
- April 15 - Accept your offered scholarship or ask for an extension
Tips for Applying
Here is some advice to help your scholarship application be as competitive as possible:
- Submit your application for admission well in advance of the November 1 deadline so you will have time to meet the November 15 deadline for the required essays and recommendations.
- Identify your recommenders and give them plenty of time to write a recommendation for you. Early communication with your recommenders will yield better letters. At least one of your letters should be from a teacher who can speak to your academic ability, intellectual curiosity and classroom engagement.
- Create an application timeline calendar and include the application dates. Monitor the Admissions homepage for news of any changes to the application or notification deadlines.
- Learn more about specific scholarship programs for which you may be a good fit.
- Allow yourself enough time to formulate quality essay responses.
- Monitor your scholarship application via your MyMountaineer Portal to learn what's been received and ensure that your scholarship application is completed by November 15.