Apply for Scholarships, the Honors College, and the Watauga Residential College
- Your application for admission must be submitted by November 1 and complete by November 15.
- Application for Admission
- Official High School Transcript
- Official Test Score(s): we accept both SAT and/or ACT
- Application Fee or Fee Waiver
- Other documents may be requested
- Complete your Application for Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities (this includes the Honors Application and Watauga Residential College Application) by November 15:
- If you have not submitted your application for admission at this time (note that your application for admission must be submitted by November 1 and complete by November 15), you will need to create an account within your MyMountaineer Portal. Please be sure to use the same email address for your MyMountaineer login that you use for your admission application. You can create your MyMountaineer Portal account. Once you have created your account, you will select "Start New Application" and choose "2019 First-Year Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities".
- If you have submitted your application for admission, please review your email or your MyMountaineer Portal for instructions on starting your 2019 First-Year Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities application.
- Required scholarship application information:
- Two letters of recommendation
- At least three individual essays (prompts are provided in the application)
- Watch your email and your MyMountaineer portal for more information. Select scholarship applicants will be invited to visit campus and interview for potential scholarship awards during Scholars Day. This invitation-only event is held each February.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- November 1 - Deadline to submit a completed application for admission
- November 15 - Deadline for students to submit a completed Academic & Merit Scholarship Opportunities application
- Late January - Invitations for Scholars Day mailed
- Late February - Scholars Day event (including scholarship interviews)
- March 1 - Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA and be considered for need-based scholarships
- April 1 - Scholarship recipients announced
- April 15 - Accept your offered scholarship or ask for an extension
Tips for Applying
Here is some advice to help your scholarship application be as competitive as possible:
- Submit your application for admission well in advance of the November 1 deadline so you will have time to meet the November 15 deadline for the required essays and recommendations.
- Identify your recommenders and give them plenty of time to write a recommendation for you. Early communication with your recommenders will yield better letters. At least one of your letters should be from a teacher who can speak to your academic ability, intellectual curiosity and classroom engagement.
- Create an application timeline calendar and include the application dates. Monitor the Admissions homepage for news of any changes to the application or notification deadlines.
- Prepare a list of activities and recognitions. Include your leadership roles, involvement in outside activities and any participation with volunteer organizations. Have you started any clubs on your high school campus? Have you been recognized for your volunteer efforts? View a sample resume (PDF, 36KB).
- Learn more about specific scholarship programs for which you may be a good fit.
- Allow yourself enough time to formulate quality essay responses.
- Monitor your scholarship application via your MyMountaineer Portal to learn what's been received and ensure that your scholarship application is completed by November 15.